MobileMe is soon to be a thing of the past with the recent introduction of iCloud. If you haven’t done so already, or are having trouble doing so, here are some brief instructions on what to do before you make the migration from MobileMe to iCloud. Should you need any further information, please feel free to contact us anytime.
Important: Before you make the transition, make sure that all of your contacts and bookmarks are up to date on at least one device you plant to use with iCloud. These will be uploaded to iCloud from your devices after you complete the migration, and iCloud will not copy and contacts or bookmarks from me.com.
Preparing to Move
1. You must have iOS 5 or later on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch.
2. When you are asked for your Apple ID and password, enter your MobileMe email and password. To use a different Apple ID for iCloud or iTunes go to Settings > Store on your device after you’ve finished using the iOS setup assistant.
3. Macs must have OS X Lion 10.7.2 or later. PCs must have Windows 7 or Vista (Service Pack 2) and the iCloud Control Panel. Outlook 2007 or 2010 are required for syncing your contacts.
4. Backup all of your contacts, calendars and bookmarks prior to moving to iCloud.
5. Your active email address (@me.com, @mac.com, and all your aliases) will move with you along with your messages when you move from MobileMe to iCloud.
6. Your email application must support accessing email via IMAP over SSL (such as OS X Mail or Outlook 2007 and 2010).
7. When you move to iCloud, you will no longer be able to check external POP email accounts, and you won’t be able to use a send from address to send from a non @me.com or @mac.com address.
8. Your data is moved for you when you move to iCloud on all your devices, you don’t need to do any additional configuration. This only works if you are using the new MobileMe Calendar before moving to iCloud.
9. If you weren’t using the new MobileMe Calendar prior to moving to iCloud, turn off all calendar syncing on all your iOS devices and choose to keep the calendar data on your device. To turn off calendar on your iOS device: tap Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > MobileMe. Turn off claendars and choose the option to keep data on your device.
Contacts and Bookmarks
10. Your contacts and bookmarks must be on one or more of your supported devices prior to moving to iCloud. You will lose all access to all your contacts on me.com after the move. Make sure they are all up to date.
11. You should not move to iCloud if your contacts are only available at me.com and you’d like to retain them.
12. You keep all the store in your MobileMe account for as long as you keep your account active, or until June 30, 2012.
13. Most users who make the switch to iCloud will get a complimentary iCloud storage upgrade through September 30, 2012. After September 30, 2012, you can purchase the upgrade, or let it expire and use the free 5 GB plan. It’s easy to manage your settings at Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup on your iOS device.
Cancelling your MobileMe Subscription
14. You can cancel your service at any time and you’ll get a prorated refund for your unused time.
Make the Move!
15. Visit me.com/move and begin the transition from MobileMe to iCloud!
Trackback from your site.