Apple is launching a new Mac OS X 10.8 aka ‘Mountain Lion’ this summer and it promises to import features from Apple’s iOS. Why should mobile have all the fun right? Historically, Apple launched all major Mac OS releases at its annual developer conference. This time, they changed the game showing it off 9 months before it hits the market which means Apple and developers have less time to integrate new features and work out bugs.
Here are 5 intriguing facts about Apple’s New Mac OS X ‘Mountain Lion’ you need to know:
1. Developers get to preview Mountain Lion today! Looking for another reason to become an Apple developer? We have just what you need: Mountain Lion is being released as a preview to all developers today. The commercial release will be released sometime this summer through Apple’s Mac App Store.
2. Mountain Lion will include popular iPod and iPad features. As Apple has previously done with Lion, the new Mac OS X 10.8 will come with many of the most popular features from the iPad and iPhone. Their intention is to make Mac computers more useful and approachable to those who got an iOS device (such as an iPod, iPad or iPhone) in the past. Their hoping Macs will become as essential as other iDevices.
3. OS X and iOS are still different. Not at all. Apple is working on creating a neighborhood of sorts where subtle differences require users to have both the OS X and iOS so that everything ties together to feel more unified. They will not be merging the two systems.
4. Apple is sharing 10 features that will launch with the new Mac OS X 10.8 ‘Mountain Lion”. Apple is giving away all its secrets but they are sharing 10 features that will come with the new OS. These include iMessage (check out our previous post, 3 Ways to Reach iMessage Enlightenment, for more tips on iMessages!), Reminders, Notes, Share Sheets, AirPlay Mirroring, GateKeeper and an assortment of localizations to OS X aimed at Chinese users including system-wide ties-ins to search engines and content sharing sites.
5. Siri is missing. Apple hasn’t included Siri in it’s 10 new features that come with the new Mac OS X ‘Mountain Lion”. There’s still time to add it in before the summer release, but so far it hasn’t made the cut. Some think desktop computers don’t need Siri at all. What do you think?
Overall, Apple’s New Mac OS X ‘Mountain Lion’ is huge news for Apple fans all across the globe. This new release promises to impress with 10+ new features including iMessages, Reminders, Notifications and more. We’re jealous of the developers who get to start beta testing today. If you’re one of them, please let us know your feedback in the comments below.
Come down to the Atlanta iHospital and have one of our D.i.D. Doctor of iDevices upgrade your Mac to the new OS X ‘Mountain Lion’. No appointment is necessary and we’ll upgrade your computer while you wait. Check out our locations if you aren’t from the Atlanta region. We look forward to seeing you soon!
Trackback from your site.