Did you know 45% of Americans have listened or watched a podcast? With the release of iTunes 4.9, more and more people are subscribing and becoming addicted to podcasts dedicated to every interest and industry. Guess who released a dedicated podcast app for iOS? You guessed it – Apple! It was rumored to be released with iOS 6 but Apple jumped the gun and released their free standalone app today.
Here’s 9 things you need to know about Apple’s new dedicated podcast app for iOS
1. The podcast app is compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod Touch (3rd generation), iPod Touch (4th generation) and iPod. It requires iOS 5.1 or later.
2. The average customer rating (so far) is 4 stars based on 72 ratings.
3. You can browse thousands of free audio and video podcasts in 40 languages within the Podcasts Catalog within the application.
4. The new Top Stations feature helps users discover new podcasts in a variety of topics including arts, business, comedy, music, news and more.
5. Simply tap to subscribe to your favorites and receive new episodes for each automatically as they become available.
6. Users have the option to stream episodes or download episodes for offline listening.
7. You can set a sleep timer just in case you’re listening to your favorite podcast in bed.
8. Now it’s easy to share your favorite podcasts using Twitter, Mail or Messages.
9. You have the option to sync your favorite podcast episodes to your Mac or PC
Apple is hoping the new standalone podcast application will help centralize and promote podcast listening. Previously, podcast listeners had to download everything through iTunes which could be a long winded process. What do you think of the new Podcast app? Will you be listening to more podcasts now? Should Apple be launching any other standalone applications for other products such as music? Let us know in the comments below!
Trackback from your site.