Apple introduced the brand new iPad mini to the world today at a highly anticipated media event in San Jose, California. Unlike other Apple media events, Apple offered a live feed of this event to Mac users, iPhone and iPad users and well as Apple TV users. The event was kicked off by Apple’s CEO Tim Cook who proudly boasted that the iPhone 5 sold out the first weekend it was launched selling more than 5 million units. A brand new 13-inch MacBook Pro, Mac Mini and iMac and an iPad 4th generation was introduced. And then at 1:51 PM ET, the brand new iPad mini was introduced to the world.
Here’s the top 10 things you need to know about the brand new iPad mini:
1. The iPad mini is 7.2 mm and 0.68 lbs. It’s 23% thinner, yet 53% lighter and it fits in one hand.
2. It comes with a 7.9 inch display that offers crisp colors and sharp text. The iPad mini’s display uses the same LED backlight technology as the iPad. 1024 x 768 pixels which is the same as the original iPad, but on a screen that’s half the size.
3. The iPad mini comes with a variety of built-in apps including Siri, FaceTime, Safari, Mail, iBooks, Photos, Maps, Newsstand, Messages, Calendar, Reminders, Contacts, App Store, iTunes, Music, Videos, Notes, Camera, Photo Booth, Clock and Game Center.
4. There are over 275,000 iPad apps in the App Store and all of them work amazingly on the iPad mini.
5. It features the ultra powerful A5 chip which will ensure a smooth and fluid performance when using the iPad mini.
6. A 10-hour battery life on a single charge.
7. iSight camera that captures videos in 1080p HD. It includes automatic video stabilization so recordings are beautiful without any bumps or shakes. You can also capture 360-degree images using iSight.
8. 5-Megapixel iSight camera that features backside illumination sensor that shoots beautiful pictures. Includes autofocus, tap to focus and tap to set exposure function and face detection.
9. Advanced Wi-Fi technology that is two times faster than any previous-generation iPad. It included dual-band (2.4 GHz and 5GHz) 802.11n Wi-Fi and support for channel bonding. The iPad mini can have download sppeds up to 150 Mbps.
10. Next generation cellular connectivity – up to LTE. It can also make connections around the world including LTE and HSPA, HSPA+, and DC-HSPA.
11. The price starts at $329 in the US for a 16GB version with Wi-Fi only. The iPad mini with cellular connectivity starts at $429 for 16GB.
Apple promises that the brand new iPad mini will be used in “so many different places and in so many different ways”. Overall, the highly anticipated iPad mini media event was a big hit introducing the brand new iPad mini along with other Apple devices such as the iMac, MacBook Pro and 4th generation iPad. The iPad mini impressed the crowd with a variety of new features. You’ll be able to get your hands on the iPad mini on November 2, 2012 – just in time for Christmas shopping!
What do you think about the brand new iPad mini? Will you be purchasing one? Are you impressed?